There are tons and tons of tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich recipes out there in the blogosphere, but there’s always room for one more right? After reviewing a handful of recipes, we picked and chose aspects of each that we liked to create our own version. Instead of using sugar, we substituted in a red bell pepper for sweetness and a bonus color boost. Also, while some recipes called for blanching and peeling the skin off the tomatoes, we’ve opted to keep the skin on for extra fiber. Any leftovers can be cooled and then portioned in zip-lock bags to be frozen for up to 3 months. If you’d like a richer tomato soup, just whisk in some cream prior to serving.
Tomato Soup Ingredients
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 4 carrots, peeled & diced
- 1 red bell pepper, deseeded & diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 10 ripe tomatoes, diced
- Small handful basil leaves
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Ground cayenne pepper, to taste
Tomato Soup Directions
- Combine butter and oil. In a large pot, combine the butter and olive oil over medium heat until the butter is melted.
- Add onions, carrots, red bell peppers, and a large pinch of salt. When the butter is melted, add in the onions, carrots, red bell peppers, a pinch of salt, and saute until the onions are translucent.
- Add garlic cloves. Add in the garlic cloves and saute until the garlic is aromatic.
- Add remaining ingredients. Add in the tomato paste, ripe tomatoes, basil, and vegetable stock. Bring the soup to a simmer.
- Season soup. Add in more salt, freshly ground black pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste. Continue simmering and stirring occasionally until the tomatoes lose their shape, about 30 – 45 minutes.
- Blend soup. Puree the soup in batches in a blender until smooth. Return pureed soup to the pot and make any final adjustments in seasoning if needed.
Grilled Cheese Ingredients
- Sourdough bread, sliced
- Unsalted butter
- Sharp cheddar cheese, grated
Grilled Cheese Directions
- Butter one side of bread. Spread butter on one side of two slices of bread.
- Toast buttered side. In a nonstick pan, toast the buttered side of the bread. While the bottom side is toasting, spread some butter on the sides facing up.
- Add cheese. Flip one of the bread slices and top the toasted side with a generous amount of cheese. Life the other slice of bread onto this slice so that the cheese is sandwiched between two toasted sides.
- Cook until golden brown. Cook until the bottom side of the grilled cheese sandwich is golden brown, then flip and repeat.