Rice bowls are a favorite in our kitchen since they are infinitely customizable and fun to put together depending on the available ingredients. Today we have a bowl of brown rice topped with seared salmon, shiitake, and asparagus – all done with one skillet! Minus the brown rice, that we have our Instant Pot to thank for.
- 4 tbsp soy sauce, plus more for sautéing
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 1 lemon
- 1 lb salmon fillet, skinless
- 2 cups brown rice
- 2 cups shiitake
- 2 cups asparagus
- Olive oil, for cooking
- Make marinade. Whisk together the soy sauce, grated ginger, brown sugar, salt, and the squeezed juice of half the lemon.
- Marinate salmon. Dice the salmon into 1-inch cubes and toss in the marinade to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes to marinate.
- Cook rice. While the salmon is marinating, get your rice cooking using any method that works for you.
- Slice vegetables. While the salmon is marinating, slice the shiitake mushrooms and asparagus, keeping them in separate containers.
- Sear salmon. Coat the bottom of a skillet over medium-high heat with olive oil. Drain the marinated salmon pieces and pat dry with paper towels. Cook the salmon in the skillet until sides are lightly seared and center is just cooked through. Transfer to a plate.
- Sauté shiitake. Wipe out the skillet (doesn’t have to be perfectly clean) and drizzle in more olive oil. Add the shiitake and season with a splash of soy sauce and salt to taste. Sauté until mushrooms are caramelized. Transfer to another plate.
- Sauté asparagus. In the now empty-skillet, deglaze the sucs with the juice from the remaining lemon half and toss in the asparagus. Season with salt and sauté until bright green. Transfer to another plate.
- Assemble rice bowl. The rice should be finished cooking by now. Assemble by placing a scoop of rice in a bowl and topping with any combination of the cooked ingredients that you desire.